General SolidWorks updates
- Air lines: change elbows to straight 90° angles and internal insulation (look at PBMR design).
- Hot air by-pass line used to reduce load: direct line with valve between hot duct and vent stack. This way, the nuclear heat load won’t change. These lines can be elbows.
- Need to fix turbomachinery design for internal combuster. Want to use same injector design as Alstom GT112n turbine. 2nd stage: hot gas coming through center, and gas injection lines will come radially instead of axially. Current design shows internal combustor which is not needed à remove. 1st and 2nd expansion stages will have 2 blades each (4 total instead of 3 currently).
- Explosion hazard: need to work through it carefully. Natural gas explosions are going to be DBEs à need to update DBE list (Mike). Need to think about how to prevent backflow to the air lines in multiple ways. May use check valve in vertical section of the hot duct (2 half disks that will open in normal operation and close the duct from gravity to prevent backflow). Also need to think about blow-out pressure control à use rupture disks? Active air flow to flush the lines? For redundancy, use an air-activated gas injection valve (fail closed) so that gas cannot be injected when air is not running.
- May also want to run longer salt lines (even have an intermediate loop) so that the air heaters are not in the nulcear island. Or put an explosion-proof wall between CTAHS and reactor vessel?
- Need by-pass between cold and hot duct to allow for full intake to the turbine during startup.
- Or replace gas with liquid fuel to avoid all the gas issues? Need to work through the economics.
(notes taken by Nicolas)